Meet Dr. Lauri Grossman, homeopath.
Let’s first take a look at ‘Dr.’ Grossman’s educational background, shall we?
- Teleosis Institute: Berkeley, California; Leadership in Green Heath Care, Certified Green Health Care Provider, 2008
- Hahnemann College of Homeopathy: Point Richmond, California; Diploma Recipient, 1999
- New England School of Homeopathy: Amherst, Massachusetts: Completion of Course for Professionals, Levels I and II, 1991, 1993
- New York Chiropractic College: Old Brookville, New York; Doctor of Chiropractic, graduate with honors, 1990
- Cornell University, College of Arts and Sciences: Ithaca, New York; Bachelor of Arts, 1977
Interesting. The ‘Dr.’ prepended to Dr. Grossman’s name seems to be in a field that ISN’T homeopathy. Further, it isn’t a medical degree (MD). It’s a Chiropractic degree (DO), as stated. And good deal on the ‘graduate with honors’! Well done!
OK, let’s look at some of the claims… We’re not as happy with these as we are with the good Doctor.
- AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDERS: language delay, self-stimulation, problems with non-verbal communication, difficulties with social interactions, repetitive routines
- ISSUES OF AGING/STRESS: concentration difficulties, hypersensitivities, fear related to illness or death
- SURGERY: preparing the body for surgery, speeding healing and preventing complications, anxiety before surgery, lingering effects from anesthesia, aching, bruising, healing of old scars
- SPORTS INJURIES AND ATHLETIC COMPETITION: strained muscles, back pain, muscle cramps, athletes foot, help with focus, psychology of competition
- TRAVEL: fear of flying, jet lag, swelling of legs from plane travel, food poisoning, altitude sickness, constipation, diarrhea, seasickness, preparing a first aid kit for family travel
- WINTER ILLNESSES: colds, coughs, preventing the flu
- SPRING AND SUMMER AILMENTS: allergies, sunburns, bee stings, hives, swimmer’s ear
- CANCER: creating an integrative treatment plan, side effects of western medicines, complaints arising from radiation and chemo therapies, pre-cancerous conditions, help for individuals with cancer in the family
Interesting. This implies effectiveness for a wide range of issues. Let’s take a look at a few, keeping in mind that no properly administered test or survey, EVER, has shown homeopathy to be any more effective than the placebo effect. If any of our readers know of any properly administered tests or published peer-reviewed research papers, please comment below.
Here are the views of SDHoS on each claim:
AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDERS: Dismissed as a curative, harmless unless used in place of proper care
ISSUES OF AGING/STRESS: Fear? They can cure FEAR now?
SURGERY: Dismissed as a curative, harmless unless used in place of proper care. (Ex: Homeopathy used in place of actual medicine to prevent post-operative infection)
SPORTS INJURIES AND ATHLETIC COMPETITION: Since ‘Dr.’ Grossman is an Osteopath, it is THAT skill that will allow her to treat some of these symptoms, NOT homeopathy.
TRAVEL: There’s a claim of curing fear again, but FOOD POISONING? No. Dangerous assertion. Food poisoning of a bacterial nature will not be affected by homeopathy. ‘Upset stomach’, since it will sometimes go away by itself, and is sometimes mistaken for food poisoning, may appear to be helped.
WINTER ILLNESSES: No. The illnesses listed are all either bacterial or viral in nature. No homeopathic ‘medicine’ will have any effect whatsoever. As for flu prevention… Dangerous assertion. If someone that is especially endangered by the flu (elderly, etc.) then using homeopathy in place of a flu vaccine could actually be life threatening.
SPRING AND SUMMER AILMENTS: Harmless except in the case of severe allergic reaction. (Which, to her credit, is not stated as a symptom. We mention it because occasionally patients become zealous about homeopathy as an alternative to Evil Big Pharma, and may elect to seek homeopathic assistance before traditional medical care. There have been deaths caused by this type of zealotry.)
CANCER: No. Just absolutely and without hesitation, no. Dangerous assertion. There should be no mention of, or reference to cancer, on any homeopaths web site or advertising material. Those suffering from cancer and the additional symptoms that medical treatment often produces are the easiest to victimize. We object.